Posted by Michael Gass on November 14, 2016
At its November 3, 2016 meeting, the UNC Asheville Faculty Senate approved the following changes to language in the Faculty Handbook about the University’s Institutional Effectiveness Committee (IEC) that are designed to better reflect recent organizational and staffing changes related to support for institutional effectiveness – chiefly, the creation last year of the Office of Institutional Research, Effectiveness and Planning (IREP) with three positions providing centralized support for the assessment work of academic and administrative departments on campus:
The Institutional Effectiveness Committee serves as an advisory group for UNC Asheville’s institutional effectiveness process.
The duties of the Institutional Effectiveness Committee include:
• Advising the Office of Institutional Research, Effectiveness and Planning on the design and implementation of institutional effectiveness processes, procedures, and reporting formats.
• Raising campus consciousness about the importance of assessment and providing a forum for the sharing of assessment techniques and practices.
• Reviewing, and providing feedback on, institutional effectiveness reports submitted by academic and administrative units.
• Reviewing, and providing feedback on, reports on University student learning outcomes submitted by the Office of Institutional Research, Effectiveness and Planning to the committee that advises the Liberal Arts Core
• Advising the Office of Institutional Research, Effectiveness and Planning on how best to communicate with University leadership and the wider University community about important issues that emerge from regular reviews of institutional level data on institutional effectiveness.
• Submitting a written report to the Faculty Senate at its first meeting each academic year that chronicles the activities of the Committee in the previous academic year.
The Institutional Effectiveness Committee will be composed of eleven members, three of whom will be permanent members based upon their positions and regular duties in connection to assessment efforts. The members are as follows:
• Director of Institutional Research, Effectiveness and Planning (Ex Officio)
• Associate Director of Institutional Effectiveness (Ex Officio)
• Associate Director of Academic Analytics and Assessment (Ex Officio)
• Administrative representative appointed by Vice Chancellor for Finance and Operations
• Administrative representative appointed by Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
• Administrative representative appointed by Vice Chancellor for Advancement
• Administrative representative appointed from the Chancellor’s Office by the Chief of Staff
• Administrative representative appointed by the Provost
• Three faculty members, appointed by the Senate from a list of candidates provided by FWDC, balanced by Program Area Membership Terms
The Director of Institutional Research, Effectiveness and Planning, the Associate Director of Institutional Effectiveness, and the Associate Director of Academic Analytics and Assessment are permanent ex officio members of the committee. Administrative representatives are appointed for staggered three-year terms. The Faculty members are appointed for staggered two-year terms.
Visit Institutional Research News for other information about developments in institutional research, effectiveness and planning at UNC Asheville.